Thursday, June 5, 2008

Human Piggy Bank


Gavin that is..... yes my son for some unknown reason decided to put a quarter in his mouth. Although the xray pic above is not really his, it is very similar to the one that was taken last night at Kaiser. After the longest day ever- got up at 5 am, stopped at CVS on the way to work, worked all day, went to an optometry appointment after school, went and got some groceries, came back to school to put together end of the year memory books, leading kindergarten orientation for next years parents, picking up Gavin at my sister in law's and finally stumbling in the door at 8 pm, I was so happy to be home and only have 1 errand left- to take my babysitter Pat home. I asked Gavin to stay in the car while I got Pat and Derek and somehow in that 2 minutes he swallowed a quarter. I heard blood curdling screaming and ran out to the car to see Gavin barfing and shoving his hands down his throat. I didn't know what had happened at first but I finally figured it out. I called 911 and they put me through to the hospital who said to bring him in. So I left Pat and Derek & called my mom to go over to relieve Pat while Gavin and I rushed off to Kaiser. I could tell when the coin finally dropped out of his throat into his tummy because the screaming/barfing thing stopped in an instant and he was fine again. The X ray showed that he indeed swallowed the quarter and that it was now in his tummy. The doctor assured us that it should come out in the next few days via the "other end." Fabulous. Anyhow at 11:15 pm we finally got home. What a day!

5 comments:

Shan said...

how scary...what a day you guys had. i'm so glad he's o.k., that could've been bad! since he's okay, i guess it's okay to joke a little...at least this makes for a very interesting and unique blog post! :) see you guys saturday. ~s

Annie said...

OMG...You truly did have a long day. I am glad he is okay. I bet he'll never do that again.

Tim and Lisa said...

I can't believe that!!! I wouldn't know what to do... I will be telling Hunter that story to make sure he doesn't do that!!!! Sorry you had such a long day!!! See you on Sat.

Emily said...

NO WAY! I am so sorry you had to deal with that after such a long day! Well, I guess life with kids is NEVER dull is it!

King Family said...

OMG Heather what a horrible night! I am glad to hear Gavin is ok. I do not think he is going to be happy when he passes is though. Kids, it is never a dull, moment.